Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Movie I watched today - 5th October 2010

Often it happens, some movies would be lying for months, years in my DVD racks. When I decide to watch a movie, I just browse through my rack, most of the time I end up in choosing a movie that is recent (you always have enough recent movies).  This is why some gems which you are unaware, like an unsung hero is lying in the corner of your rack unattended.  

Today I felt like watching an old movie that has been unattended for years.  I picked up "Guess who is coming to dinner" directed by Stanley Kramer.  Watched it in one go, what a film! A story that happens in a day is told in 100 minutes, but the story covers years of American history, racial tension, white liberals,  a love story beyond races...

A classic film that is almost on the verge of melodrama, the writing in the film is so good and you almost secretely wish it to enter into real melodrama.  The writer is so good  and he beatifully avoids it.  The  writer is William Rose.

It is a film that teaches you how to write scenes with short ratio of screen time Vs story time with tensions glimmering at every scene.  This is what I really like about these old classical American movies thoough my real cup of tea is always European movies.

A mesmerising performance by Katharine Hepburn (who won Oscar for this), Spencer Tracy and Sidney Poiter. Though this color film belongs to 60, it is so contemperory in terms of "parents especially so called progressive parents understanding their children".

Once I finished watching this movie, without thinking twice I put it in the rack that is marked with "My favourites".

No comments:

Post a Comment